Fishers means peaches
It is said that the peach originated in China, but for many people in the Upstate, peaches mean Fishers. We’ve been growing peaches since 1930, so we know a thing or two about what it takes to produce a juicy, sweet, mouth-watering peach or nectarine.
Fishers Orchard sells approximately 50 different peach varieties, as well as nectarines and plums, at its three Greer locations. Fresh peaches are generally available from June until September, but that can vary based on growing conditions.
Did you know?
South Carolina has a long, storied history with the peach. According to historical records, peaches were found in South Carolina as far back as the late 1600s. Since then, a lot has changed, but South Carolina.
Today, South Carolina produces the most peaches of any state in the South. Our state ships about 90,000 tons a year compared with Georgia’s 40,000 tons, according to United States Department of Agriculture statistics. Nationwide, the top four states in peach production are California, South Carolina, Georgia and New Jersey. California is a significant producer of both fresh and processed peaches, while South Carolina and Georgia mainly produce fresh peaches.
Other interesting facts:
- There are about 18,000 acres of peach orchards in South Carolina.
- More than 200 million pounds of peaches are harvested in South Carolina in a typical year.
- South Carolina has been called “The tastier peach state.”
- Weather is the most important factor in growing peaches. A 1- or 2-degree drop at a critical time can make or break a peach crop.
- Peaches are rich sources of vitamins A and C as well as alpha hydroxy fruit acids.
How to select the best peaches
A key thing to remember is that Fishers Orchard peaches are picked at the peak of their sweetness, so they are ready to eat. They won’t become sweeter as they sit around and soften. Additionally:
- Select peaches with a creamy or yellow color; they tend to be the sweetest.
- Avoid peaches with a green tinge; they have been picked too early and will not be as sweet.
- Peaches have a wonderful aroma; don’t be afraid to take a sniff!
Want to learn more? Come by any Fishers Orchard location. We are happy to answer any questions.